eBay acquires BillSafe: a purchase-on-invoice provider

As this year comes to an end, we can add yet another acquisition to [our] list. This time it is the big almighty eBay that bought the Germand company BillSAFE. The deal follows minority stake investment eBay made in the company in October 2010.

About BillSAFE: purchase-on-einvoice

BillSAFE is what you can call a provider of purchase-on-invoice technology: customers select the item they want to buy, and then they receive an invoice for payment AFTER the item is delivered.

Security-conscious shoppers can receive and inspect the merchandise they bought online before paying for their purchases. And merchants can sell to customers who were previously skeptical of buying online

Popularity of purchase-on-invoice

PayPal recently said that purchase-on-invoice is the most popular form of payment and presentment in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the Netherlands, and said 19.6 percent of payments for German online transactions were billed via invoice. In the U.S., eBay sellers and most retailers insist on getting paid before shipping orders, so the acquisition may not impact PayPal orders in the U.S.


1 Comment


  1. “PayPal recently said that purchase-on-invoice is the most popular form of payment and presentment in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and the Netherlands, and said 19.6 percent of payments for German online transactions were billed via invoice.”

    So, 19.6 percent is “the most popular”. Gee, what does PreyPal call the other 80.4 percent? “The most UNpopular?” Does anyone actually read this PR nonsense before they send it out?

    eBay / PayPal / Donahoe: Dead Men Walking.

Leave a Reply